Sunday, April 19, 2015

Flag Desecration: It's Never Okay

I usually watch what I say before I blast something out for the entire world to see on the Internet, but I read something today that angers me to no end.

At Valdosta State University in Georgia (that's right - this happened in the South), university officers detained an Air Force veteran after she picked up the American flag protesters had on the ground (full story can be found here).

My father is in the Army National Guard. He was previously in the Navy before switching to the National Guard, and he has served his country for over 20 years. I have several friends and family members who have and are currently serving in the United States military, protecting the public's rights including the right to protest.

As a journalist, I am by NO MEANS arguing that these protesters don't have the right to demonstrate nor am I arguing that they don't have the freedom of speech. There is, however, a very fine line that you don't crossed, and these idiots crossed it.

What's worse, university officials and campus police have now crossed it as well. The American flag is not to be desecrated in any manner. By not correcting the protesters, they are condoning this type of behavior which can and will cause issues in the future.

Now, I am aware that it is a basic right to have the right to PEACEFULLY assemble. However, I strongly believe that it isn't "peaceful" when you're desecrating the American flag. These students should face punishment for what they did. The veteran stood up for what she believes in. She fought for that flag, for the right to not have it desecrated like that, fought for THEIR RIGHT to protest, and she's the one facing all of the punishment?

I don't think it's right. Not one little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment