Wednesday, September 18, 2013

My Professional "Aha" Moment

I already posted this to my Tumblr, but I felt it should be posted here too, to my professional blog. It explains how I got into the field I did, and the career choices I passed up along the way. Hope you enjoy!

~          ~          ~          ~          ~

Rarely does a person enter the career they told their relatives they were going to go into when they were young (i.e. when they were asked what they wanted to be when they grew up). I certainly am no exception. When I was four I told my grandparents I wanted to go into meteorology, and here I am attending university for my last year for my Bachelor of Arts in Journalism.

The switch from meteorology to journalism wasn’t a simple transition. Between then, I had several different occupations in mind for what I wanted to be: a travel writer, an archaeologist, and a psychologist.

The idea for travel writing came after a three-week adventure through Europe when I was 12. I love writing. I’ve been doing it ever since I was 3 and trying to learn how to write in cursive. I kept journals throughout my life and wanted to have stories published and become a writer in general (in addition to the meteorology gig). I had to face the facts, though. Writing doesn’t pay the big bucks unless you were lucky. I severely doubted my luck.

Around the same time, I had aspirations of becoming an archaeologist. I had this fascination with Ancient Egypt as well as World War II. I wanted to go on excavations and find jewelry and other things, maybe some bombshells in Germany, something! I wanted to have my own little museum of treasures in my home, but I found out that you don’t really get to keep the stuff you find (darn that childhood rule of finders keepers). That idea flew out the window, and I began to think about becoming a psychologist.

Psychology was a rash decision itself. I always listened to other people’s problems and offered them advice (which I don’t follow myself even though it works for everyone else). I didn’t think about the amount of schooling it would take to get there, nor did I really know what field of psychology I wanted to go into. Thank God my high school offered journalism, or I wouldn’t be where I am today.

I suppose as a small point I should mention how I went from straight journalism to going for journalism with a public relations. I had to pick a related area, and I figured I could become a publicist for someone. Maybe I would move to London or New York, somewhere, and become Jason Statham’s or Jensen Ackles’ publicist (only in my dreams). I took Public Relations I at my university last year, and realized this was what I wanted to do. I now plan on graduating next year with my degree, and moving out to Vegas soon after.

The key lesson to take from this is not to settle your heart on one profession unless you are absolutely sure this is what you want to do and are dedicated to the chosen field. Do something you’re going to love 10, 20, even 50 years down the road. I’m planning on it, and I couldn’t be more excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment